Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Woulda Shoulda Coulda--Who's laughing now?

I used to laugh at my Mom. 

Well for lots of things.... she was a goofball....

But I used to laugh at her because of her obsession with birthdays.

"Today would have been your great-grandparents 100th Wedding Anniversary!" or "Your great grandpa would have been 125 today!"

"Mom, come on!  Even if they would have lived a little longer... I don't think they would have made it to the 100th wedding anniversary!"

"Well I know that!" she would say... "but I'm thinking about them!"

So I would laugh... and she would ignore me... as she thought about those loved ones no longer with her.

Tomorrow.... We stop saying, "Mom was 63...."

We start saying, "Mom WOULD have been 64...."

She SHOULD have been 64....

I wish she COULD have been 64....

So years from now... when I'm telling the boys...."Your Grandma Cindy would have been 75...85...105... today!"  I hope she's laughing at me as much as they will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment