Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Promises Kept

A few Sundays ago, in the Sunday School class that James and I attend, we were talking about keeping and breaking promises.  Our lesson mirrors the lessons that the boys are hearing at the same time.  We were asked something along the lines about a time when we were younger and a promise was made and then broken and how we felt about it.

I couldn't remember a single example.  

If my parents made a promise, they kept it.

I learned it early on, so I've tried to pass it along to my own kids.

So I made them a promise, and I as much as I didn't want to... I kept it.




I held it together as much as I could.  I was choked up in the car (a fact that Keegan was kind enough to point out) but didn't have the hysterical sobs I feared.

They were curious.  They looked her stone all over, they checked out the dates and all the pictures.  We walked around for awhile.  The boys both have Murphy in their name, so they liked seeing that, and finding the other Murphys also buried there. 

It was time to go, so I turned my attention to getting Courtlynn buckled into her car seat.  I turned around to tell Suttie Joe to get in... and saw this.





My.heart.shattered.

My WORLD shattered. again.

He was telling her goodbye.  

He turned to get in the car and he was sobbing.

He doesn't even remember her.  But he can't help but be devastated by her loss.

I sobbed with him.  And told them that they could take all the time they needed to tell Grandma whatever they wanted to say.  We unbuckled, and Keegers was the first to say his private words.  





Suttie said his own prayer to Grandma, asking her to not go away again.





And Courty just wanted to take care of her brother.




There weren't as many questions as I thought there would be.  Keegan wanted to know what your heart sounds like when you are having a heart attack.  Or how the workers knew that she was dead.

Suttie wanted to know if we had to go back.

I kept my promise.

Even though it broke some hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment