Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Certificate of Participation

I've been thinking a lot about certificates lately.

A few weeks ago I got copies of my grandpa and grandma's death certificates in the mail to deal with part of my grandpa's estate.  My mom was a beneficiary of course, so since she's gone, that falls to the girls and I to deal with.  To do that, I have to submit those certificates, along with my mom's and then also my birth certificate.

So on your first day of life, you get a birth certificate.  On this tiny slip of paper, you will find basic information.  This is your name.  These are your parents.  This is where you were born.  It says NOTHING about what your parents were thinking, or hoping, or praying.  It says nothing of what they dreamed for you, or what you meant to them.  This is your Proof of Enrollment.

On your last day of life, you get a death certificate.  On this slightly bigger piece of paper you will find more basick information.  This is your name.  These are your parents.  This is where you were born, this is where you died.  This is what your job was, this is who you married.  And sadly, this is why you died. (Myocardial Infarction).  They should call this a Certificate of Completion.

These pieces of paper seem so important to so many people/companies/etc.

But I want another certificate.

I want a Life Certificate.  A "Certificate of Participation" if you will. 

Where is the paper that tells what Cynthia Ann "Little" Murphy dreamed.  Where's the paper that says. "This is who you loved, and who loved you?"  Where is the paper that says you loved to travel, wear high heels, and play cards?  Where's the certificate that says you once made two batches of cheesy potatoes... and forgot to add the cheese to both?

Where's the certificate that says that you were a devoted daughter, sister, wife, and mother.

Where is the certificate that says you adored your grandchildren?

Where's the certficate that says you held the S a little longer than needed when you said Miami County Courthoussssse?

We have those papers to tell us how you were born, and how you died. 

But the one that is most important to me... the one no one gave me, is the one that said this is how you LIVED...

No comments:

Post a Comment