Saturday, December 31, 2011

The last last year

I started this blogging journey a year ago today. 
On that date, I realized that it was the very last day that I could say, "My Mom died this month," or "My Mom died this year."  I knew that when I woke up the next morning, I would have to start saying, "She died last month." or worse "She died last year."


Today it's much the same.


December 31, 2011 is the last day that I can say, "My Mom died last year."


So now I have to figure out what to say.  I've been testing out a few choices
  • My Mom died when I was 34.--So far this is the frontrunner for me.  Since I'm still 35, it makes if feel more recent.  Like I haven't been without her for as long.


  • My Mom died in 2010--This one might work for me, since I have to pause while writing a check half the time to know what year it is.


  • My Mom died X months ago--I think since the numbers would get so big so fast... it's got to be excluded.  It still feels like I should be counting the days.


  • My Mom died a (couple, few, several) years ago
A couple of years?  Has it already been a "couple?"  The fact that I have to make the word year plural is bad enough.  I can't imagine when I have to say "She died 2 (or 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 or 20) years ago.


Today also marks another date in my family history.  Fifty years ago today, when my dad was 15... my Grandfather died.   My grandfather died in 1961.  Granddad (though I never met him, I think I would have called him Granddad) has been gone almost as long as he was here. 


I can't imagine living for all those years without my parent like he has.  He's told me that losing a spouse is much worse than losing a parent.  But he's grieved for his Dad for 50 years...  What will he say tomorrow?  "My father died over half a century ago?"

So regardless of which one I to choose... because maybe noone will really ask anymore...  the only one that seems to feel right is
  • My Mom died too soon

No comments:

Post a Comment